Amateur Radio Supplies

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Slackware linux and power outages

After the power outage we had a few weeks ago, I have been trying in despair to get my Slackware computer back up and running properly. Apparently, Slackware Linux does not like being shut off in the middle of accessing the file system, and gets really pissy butt about the whole thing. I can still get into the computer, and access the Desktop (KDE), but after several hours, the system crashes, and I lose all mouse & keyboard functions. At that point, the only thing left to do is shut it off with the power button on the front of the computer, and start all over again. very frustrating.

Since that time, I have been using my Debian Linux box, and after upgrading the memory up to 1.5G from 512MB, it has been very responsive, and slowly turning into my main computer system that I use on a regular basis. I have to say, that I like the file system on debian linux, and the updating is easy as well. i may just have to become a convert, and just start using the debain box. I have always liked the "apt-get" system of doing updates/ upgrades, as long as the computer is pointed at the correct repositories, it is almost automatic. Their are also ton's of software that can be used for whatever purpose you need, including blogging.

Well, that is about all i have fror you tonite, since my sweety is home and in dire need of my attention. When she gets home it becomes "Happy Hour" here at the old homestead. So thanks for reading this, and I look forward to your comments as this Blog progresses. Theron

4 comments:

  1. It's funny... I have never heard of Linux and all its companions til I met you Theron....NOW PUT DOWN THE COMPUTER and lets have our happy hour!! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do realize that there is no such thing as a Slackware file system or a Debian file system? Both Debian and Slackware are distributions of Linux and provide a choice of file systems at install time, be it ext2, ext3, ext4, XFS, JFS, or Reiser. In reality you have a complaint with the file system you chose durring your Slackware install and not Slackware itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, i just thought that it was a given, that I was talking about the default file system that slackware uses, from a fresh install. I know, i know, I should have explained that in detail a little bit further, before posting this. The next response will probably be RTFM....lol
    Thank you for pointing out this error in my Blog.

    ReplyDelete